Learn and Hug

To students: Did you know each time you genuinely learn something new, you get a shot of dopamine?
(I learned this in morning yoga class, and I can only hope it is true).
They liked the idea, and I encouraged them to learn something new in today's class for that shot of dopamine.

We then talked about human disconnection/connection (it related to the dopamine),  and I told them that when they make a human connection, they get a shot of oxytocin (I hope this is true too). So I challenged them to hug each other. Most students stood up and hugged at least one other person. Some students made the rounds. Others chose to sit and not make a human connection. Regardless, the room became a happy, happy place filled with laughter and smiles. Even though I was only an observer, I loved being a part of the change in joyful atmosphere. It was fantastic. Even the students who chose not to hug for a shot of oxytocin, were affected by the radiance.