Every morning I check the weather app on my phone. It determines whether I walk or run, where I walk or run, what time I walk or run, or whether I'm inside on the elliptical. The app determines whether or not I think about putting plexiglass on the cold frames, whether I dress in layers or not, whether I drive to the bank. Or not. The weather is perhaps, too much of a life determiner for me.
Lately, there has been a perceptible change when I am outside. Coat, hat, scarf and gloves feel a little too cozy. And I've noticed the hourly change in temperature on my phone app shows a one to two degree increase. With this incredibly slow change, eventually we will arrive at the height of summer and again at the height of winter. Once in a while there is a wicked and unexpected dramatic change, but the temperature, the seasons, the weather is a pretty reliable friend, and all that takes is subtle, minimal changes, everyday.
Patterns and habits. All it takes is subtle, minimal changes everyday and we reach our potential, our best self, best weight, best endurance, best patience, best at whatever we choose. Two bites instead of the whole thing, a green drink instead of a milkshake, a walk to the church instead of a ride, a kind comment instead of an acerbic retort, a ten minute read vs. not reading. Twenty minutes internet surfing instead of an hour, one movie instead of five. Slowly sliding the temperature up and down. Slowly almost imperceptibly, we wake up one morning and say, "It's spring!" Or, "I did it!"
Lately, there has been a perceptible change when I am outside. Coat, hat, scarf and gloves feel a little too cozy. And I've noticed the hourly change in temperature on my phone app shows a one to two degree increase. With this incredibly slow change, eventually we will arrive at the height of summer and again at the height of winter. Once in a while there is a wicked and unexpected dramatic change, but the temperature, the seasons, the weather is a pretty reliable friend, and all that takes is subtle, minimal changes, everyday.
Patterns and habits. All it takes is subtle, minimal changes everyday and we reach our potential, our best self, best weight, best endurance, best patience, best at whatever we choose. Two bites instead of the whole thing, a green drink instead of a milkshake, a walk to the church instead of a ride, a kind comment instead of an acerbic retort, a ten minute read vs. not reading. Twenty minutes internet surfing instead of an hour, one movie instead of five. Slowly sliding the temperature up and down. Slowly almost imperceptibly, we wake up one morning and say, "It's spring!" Or, "I did it!"