Rachel, a student, helped me carry food into the teacher's lounge that needed to be warmed up. In all my six years, I rarely used the microwave or even ate at the school. It was just this past October, when I was teaching all day that I used the microwave to warm food.
It was a simple ritual: walk into teacher's lounge, pull food out of bag, warm in the microwave, and eat. Simple, simple without much thought.
As Rachel and I stood with three items that needed to be heated, I placed the black beans in the microwave and when I pulled them out to stir, I instructed her to stick in the refried beans, so we could, "Get a jump on things."
The dear sweet girl then suggested that we put all three dishes in the three separate microwaves and we'd really "Get a jump on things."
Instead of feeling stupid like most people would have, I saw it as the three microwave unaware problem.
I had my needs, my habits, and my vision blinders intact and thus, I was content to solve the problem in the usual way. But it wasn't the most efficient or intelligent way. It took a student with "new eyes," to help me see this.
I take awaytwo three things from this experience: 1. When faced with a problem, big or small, step back and ask if there's a better way. 2. Ask for someone else's opinion or expertise and 3. If someone happens to point out your own lack of intelligence, thank them and applaud them for theirs!
It was a simple ritual: walk into teacher's lounge, pull food out of bag, warm in the microwave, and eat. Simple, simple without much thought.
As Rachel and I stood with three items that needed to be heated, I placed the black beans in the microwave and when I pulled them out to stir, I instructed her to stick in the refried beans, so we could, "Get a jump on things."
The dear sweet girl then suggested that we put all three dishes in the three separate microwaves and we'd really "Get a jump on things."
Instead of feeling stupid like most people would have, I saw it as the three microwave unaware problem.
I had my needs, my habits, and my vision blinders intact and thus, I was content to solve the problem in the usual way. But it wasn't the most efficient or intelligent way. It took a student with "new eyes," to help me see this.
I take away