I awoke this morning in the middle of a dream about the feast. The feast is a metaphor for abundance. I've used it both, in an academic setting and a Sunday School setting. But now, I would like to conjure up a meaningful presentation that would be effective for my family. It would be a fun New Year's Day demonstration~~a lovely challenge for our loved ones to feast on life, on abundance and love for the new year.
The Feast Plan:
Previously, I have invited students to a feast and the feast consists of something very simple like a pitcher of water and a tray of crackers. Let's say I was doing the feast for an AP Lit class. I would tell the class that the literature we will be reading is like a feast and they have the chance to eat in abundance at the table of a literary canon. Usually, the students believe the metaphor because they understand the limitations of producing a real feast-and they're usually hungry and happy with a few crackers--but then you reveal the real feast, either by opening a partition, or walking into class...
The Feast Plan:
Previously, I have invited students to a feast and the feast consists of something very simple like a pitcher of water and a tray of crackers. Let's say I was doing the feast for an AP Lit class. I would tell the class that the literature we will be reading is like a feast and they have the chance to eat in abundance at the table of a literary canon. Usually, the students believe the metaphor because they understand the limitations of producing a real feast-and they're usually hungry and happy with a few crackers--but then you reveal the real feast, either by opening a partition, or walking into class...
I also used the feast to teach about sharing. One group of children were invited to the feast with crackers and water. The other group came through another door where the feast was cakes, fruit, breads--beautiful food. It didn't take long for one of the children to ask why his feast was so sparse. And it didn't take long for the other children to invite the sparsely fed children to join them.
Life is a disparate situation and when we are blessed, the first step is awareness. It is infrequent when we come face to face with the disparity: approached by a beggar, a trip to a locale of poverty. As teachers, parents, people with heart, we need to be aware and help others to be aware and share. The feast.