A New York City visit at Christmas time wouldn't have been complete without stopping at FAO Schwartz. Early on a rainy dark morning after a brisk walk, FAO opened their doors at 9:00 a.m.
Magical.
First stop: the candy department where I ran into a 30 lb chocolate Santa and other delights. I was sorry to see that since my last visit, the marble ( as in made of glass marbles) counter top has been removed. The big piano has also been retired, but the store makes up for it by selling big piano keyboards. I could still see Tom Hanks jumping from key to key. Makes me want to watch Big this Christmas vacation.
Another addition, new to me, was a gem, rock and specimen section. For $25, one can buy an un-cracked geode from Brazil, or a whole box of mini geodes for $10. Or a beautiful display of real butterflies. Or a giant cricket.
This array made me laugh. The safari animals looked ready to converse.
Because of Max, I was attracted to the Lego section. These figures would have amazed him.
Christmas is connecting with memories of childhood. It's a time to throw off the practical adult we're forced to be eleven months of the year. We focus on generosity instead of frugality and with that generosity comes joy.
But then the adult kicks in to temper the child who is reckless with money. I used to hate the larger than usual credit card bills in January, so at Christmas time, I mostly use cash. This way I can be generously realistic without a debt hangover.
Magical.
First stop: the candy department where I ran into a 30 lb chocolate Santa and other delights. I was sorry to see that since my last visit, the marble ( as in made of glass marbles) counter top has been removed. The big piano has also been retired, but the store makes up for it by selling big piano keyboards. I could still see Tom Hanks jumping from key to key. Makes me want to watch Big this Christmas vacation.
Another addition, new to me, was a gem, rock and specimen section. For $25, one can buy an un-cracked geode from Brazil, or a whole box of mini geodes for $10. Or a beautiful display of real butterflies. Or a giant cricket.
This array made me laugh. The safari animals looked ready to converse.
Because of Max, I was attracted to the Lego section. These figures would have amazed him.
Christmas is connecting with memories of childhood. It's a time to throw off the practical adult we're forced to be eleven months of the year. We focus on generosity instead of frugality and with that generosity comes joy.
But then the adult kicks in to temper the child who is reckless with money. I used to hate the larger than usual credit card bills in January, so at Christmas time, I mostly use cash. This way I can be generously realistic without a debt hangover.








