The Miracle of Morning

After two nights of precious baby not sleeping well, we had a major breakthrough. We put him to bed at 7:00 pm and didn't hear a peep until 7:00 am. And....the coughing 8 year old, didn't cough all night. I slept well. We all slept well.

There is nothing better than a good night's rest and I have always been blessed with a good sleeping ability. I can even love napping.  I treasure sleep and I don't take it for granted, because all around me are people who don't sleep well.

Mom tells me frequently that I came this way. I loved to sleep and consequently was an easy, happy baby. If we get to pick gifts to bring from heaven, I picked a good one.

Often, when I go to bed at night with an unsolved problem or conflict, my brain, somehow, works through the problem. I often understand a previously unseen  solution or figure out a better way. Clarity shows the divergent point of Tony's and my understanding. One time, I even wrote a whole newspaper column while sleeping. I woke up with the complete story and post script in my mind. Literally I went from bed to the computer, and there were very few edits. I think the subconscious does a lot of work while sleeping, another proof of needful rest.

Ah...but loving and functioning well on sleep does have a downside. When I don't get enough sleep, I don't do so well. My sleep is like water to a marathoner in the desert; butter to a pastry chef; kleenex to a cold-afflicted person.

Without sleep, my sanity slips. Everything sad or troublesome is magnified. I don't want to ever travel or be far from home--and this is not the real me. I think of persecuted people who aren't given a real bed, who were expected to stand through the night in a cattle car and nothing could be worse.


The old cliche Never go to bed angry, doesn't work for me either. The best thing I can do under these circumstances is go to bed. In the morning, it will all be different. And this is what I really want to focus on: the miracle of morning.

The way the world is set up, every 24 hours, we in essence get a fresh start. 365 fresh starts a year! Every morning when I awake, I can choose to be different. I can be kinder, more forgiving (of myself and others), eat better, exercise better, work harder, learn and love more.

I've never been a fan of New Year's resolutions--once a year is not enough. Every day I have a new and glorious chance to be better. Everyday I cradle hope for a better me.

If we take it one step further, the way time is set-up and divided, we have even more opportunities to re-set our do-better efforts: every hour and every minute provides a new starting line.

But nothing beats the possibilities of a new day. From darkness comes light and that light, either physical illumination or mental and emotional insight, is what can change our lives.