Caveat Emptor

My father loved cars, loved to buy new cars, loved to give them to his family, especially his granddaughters ( he only had a few). Since he was ill and now that he is gone, I've had to step up to the plate twice. It's pointless to wish Dad was still here to take care of this, so, I'm thankful he gave me the tools and confidence to negotiate.

The first time, I THINK I got the car salesman to knock $500 off the price. I never told my dad in case I hadn't been savvy enough.

The second time, just this week, after the price was negotiated, I sat down with the manager and my daughter for the final signing. With Dad on my shoulder, I was prepared.

Bang--first change: they wanted to give us $200 less for the trade-in. "It's a matter of principle," I said, "I checked Kelly Blue Book and the first offer is the fair price." I was ready to walk away, which in hindsight was a little foolish but a heavy bargaining chip.

Salesman's response, "But the trade-in guy didn't see it and it needs new tires,....etc, bla bla bla."

"That's your fault."

He backed down right away but made sure I knew they would be taking a loss. Too bad.

Next, we were offered a warranty that would kick in five years after the original warranty expired. All for $1100.

"You mean," I said to the salesman/office manager/son of the owner, "You want me to pay $1100 up front for a service I may not need for five years? Really?"

Not a minute passed when he dropped the warranty price to $800. If that doesn't tell you something.

Next, we were offered a sealant protection for the leather seats--"If you wear jeans, sometimes the blue rubs off onto the seats."

"Then she won't wear pants when she drives."

Next: extra protection for the exterior. Again, I have faith they already did a nice paint job. Pass.

I'm winning, or so I think.

The man shows us that if our car should ever be stolen or totaled that ON Top of the insurance pay off, the dealership will give us an extra $3000. Wow this is generous, and I think it's a pretty cool thing to offer but the odds are so against this happening that their goodwill gets a lot of bang. Maybe the customer only gets the $3000. towards a new car. I ask. Nope...regardless, a check for $3000.

Everything looks good and we are asked to sign the previously typed MOTOR VEHICLE CONTRACT OF SALE.

Line by line I congenially (because we've almost rounded the bases and I'm about to score), go over the contract.

"Oh...what is this?  Hmmm... I see." On line 18 is a charge for theft registration at a minor charge of $189.

"The $3000 in case of theft or an accident that totals the car is no gift. You've made us buy an insurance policy. Tell me, what percentages of cars get stolen or totaled? I bet it's less than 5%."

"Well actually, we don't keep statistics," he responds.

"Of course you don't. It's probably one percent. Out of 100 cars you sell, how many qualify for this $3000 payout?"

He doesn't answer but successfully diverts me with a story of two cars that were stolen off the lot this year."

"Did you pay yourselves $3000?"

"The cars were returned. Someone took a joy ride then parked them in the restaurant lot next door."

Ugh...I let it go...but in the words of Stephen Covey, the situation was a win/win and we drove away satisfied in a new car and knowing we've helped keep this dealership running--especially important if the odds turn against us and we return to collect our $3000.