Skip to main content

Once Upon a Time...

Search This Blog

on November 30, 2014
  • Get link
  • Facebook
  • X
  • Pinterest
  • Email
  • Other Apps

  • Get link
  • Facebook
  • X
  • Pinterest
  • Email
  • Other Apps

Popular Posts

At 2:20 A.M.

 I awake in the early morning at 2:20 a.m.  The sky is a freeway of lightening bolts and a cauldron of angry thunder. I  watch the sky from bed trying to go back to sleep. But the rain begins. It slaps the windows, the roof, and the tin in the rain gutters. Earth is a noisy place.  I read for a short while. I think about listening to a meditation. I get out of bed to watch the world through the big windows. Surely the torrents of rain will wash this house off the hill. Or so it seems. Just like it has for the last twenty-five years in the midst of fierce pounding  rain, Not much I can do about it at 2:40 a.m. I go back to bed, and do the one sure thing that finally helps me back to sleep. Something I learned in the after-chatter of book club. We were talking about this very thing: getting back to sleep. It was when Kate taught us about having a mantra--a repeated phrase on a continual cycle. She shared her chosen mantra. With so much time behind, recalling ...

Obligations

 Took my last swim in the 68 degree pool--in a wetsuit.  Done Drained the pipes, shut off the water-closed the pool on Friday.   Done Turned in my writing packet on Saturday.. Done Went to the grandchildren's Saturday soccer games.  Done I prepared, and gave the Sunday School lesson on Sunday. Done. Loaded the dishwasher. Took out the trash. Placed the vegetable scraps in the composter. Done Mostly cleaned out the fridge. Bagged the leftover soup and put it in the freezer.   Done Now we can go on vacation.

The Frog Was Not a Prince

 I love our swimming pool. But a pool is not without work. And sometimes the things that end up in the pool are more than splashing children or leaves.  Snakes. Llamas. Big live bugs.  The llama was not found in our pool but in an unknown family's pool after a  llama went missing from a neighboring llama farm and wasn't discovered until the family opened their pool in the spring. I heard the story from the man who used to service our pool. I've been thankful ever since for all the small pool-extras previously not appreciated. A deer once got caught in our fenced pool area. He could have walked on the pool cover, it could have torn...can deer swim? This fall, my daughter's family found a frog in their pool. It would have been  fun, except for the unhygienic residue left behind after its swim. So Tanner scooped  him out but only with a lot of effort. The frog was motionless, until chased. Those powerful French delicacy legs can rocket a frog to the other side...
Powered by Blogger