In the corner of the family room is a roomy chaise with crawl-on-access for a one-year-old. A big picture window backlights the chaise. When I walk into the room, the chaise whispers, “Have a seat.” To the side of the chaise is a bookshelf and a cupboard filled with children’s books. When I sit on the chaise, I am immediately dog piled by two adorable children who see my physical presence on the green chaise as an invitation to read. Because I am their grandma with an agenda that only includes them, I sit down to read.
This love of books is not limited to the green chaise. When sixteen-month-old Annika goes about her business, it is usually with a book. Out of the chaise, up the stairs, out the back door, onto the deck, into the yard—all these movements are made holding a book. She is a version of Harold and the Purple Crayon: Annika and the book.
From a book loving woman, whose mother was a book loving woman, whose daughter is a lover of books--to watch my granddaughter carry her books around with the importance of a purse, brings joy and laughter.
From a book loving woman, whose mother was a book loving woman, whose daughter is a lover of books--to watch my granddaughter carry her books around with the importance of a purse, brings joy and laughter.
At least once a month for the last thirty-five years, my mother and Annika’s great grandmother, has received a book in the mail from her Book of the Month Club. When I was a child, she would perch herself at the edge of the snack bar, indulging her joy but still readily available to her children. I always received a book or two for Christmas and birthdays. My mother bought books and took us to the library, a legacy that continues with my grandchildren: books from the library, books from book fairs, books from the bookstore, books for birthdays, books for fun, books galore for everyone!
You can never spoil a child with books; you only spoil them when they are not surrounded by books.
Annika is an eight year old now and I still treasure book talk with her. She'll loan me her favorites )My Father's Dragon) and we recently found a series that she quite loves.
Books can be the propolis of a relationship. With mom, with me and how lucky I am to have this with Annika and how lucky she is to have it with me.
Annika is an eight year old now and I still treasure book talk with her. She'll loan me her favorites )My Father's Dragon) and we recently found a series that she quite loves.
Books can be the propolis of a relationship. With mom, with me and how lucky I am to have this with Annika and how lucky she is to have it with me.

