My Father's Tribute 8-16-2014

As a pre teen in seventh or eight grade, one night, I snuck out of Loraine’s front bedroom window to go driving with my friend Margaret. That I knew how to drive is another story—Dad made sure we were all proficient drivers at a young age.

I had stopped the car and we were talking to friends. I looked into the rear view mirror and I saw my mom in her station wagon turn around the corner. My foot hit the accelerator and I  took off, fast, with Mom hot on my tail. There were screeches around corners,  all the moves of the quintessential chase scene, but I couldn’t lose her.  I made it home before her, threw Margaret’s mother’s car into park and ran into the front window where Loraine let me in. I went straight to my room and waited for the consequences.

Mom came in,  angry and I don’t remember exactly what happened, but she finished and she told me Dad was coming in. I’m sure I was shaking. When he entered the room, he was taller and thicker  than I had ever remembered. I expected the worse. As he walked towards me, my heart beat faster and then something totally unexpected: He put his arms around me and held me close and I wept. I don’t even remember any words. Just comfort, forgiveness, and love—pure love, charity—the pure love of Christ for a foolish child.

At the very core of all my thoughts about my father, is the absolute that his love was deep and pure.  That love shown to me my whole life grew and extended as Dad  had sons in law, grandchildren and great grandchildren. He set a pattern that made it easy for me to believe there was a Father in Heaven who also loved me unconditionally, and who like my earthly father made it very clear what was right or wrong, what was expected; and when expectations weren’t met, there were course corrections.


As the mother of four children, I have seen the miracle of life, the first breath of life. I am now profoundly thankful for the miracle of death, that my father was able to leave a weakened, pained body, that he has joined his family and now resides in the presence of our Heavenly father.

I am thankful to my mother who has shown charity, the pure love of Christ to my father. There is a great legacy of parents who show their love to one another. Her example will forever be in my heart.

The last day of our family vacation with my children and grandchildren, was also to be the day I flew to Las Vegas to spend the last days with my precious father. On that morning with a heavy heart, I looked out the window to see a spectacular double rainbow over the ocean. I quickly called my children to gather on the outside deck. We all marveled together.  I then went out on the sand to take a photo and while I was there, I remembered the meaning of the rainbow.  It was God’s promise that the earth would never again flood, that man would live. This rainbow was clearly a promise of God’s eternal love and promises to my family. I believe in the covenants and promises made in the House of the lord and the ties that bind us together.  And I am so grateful to know—my father lives, and I will see my him again.