We Learned Two Important Things Today That Will Change Our Lives

Life Changer #1 Tony is a for-sure man.  Maps, map apps--- very  important to him. He usually drives, but I will no longer allow him to drive AND look at maps,  iPad or paper.  Foolish, foolish, foolish. So, today he suggested I do the driving and leave the navigation to him.  Why didn't we figure this out sooner. I love downshifting on those roundabouts and I love being in control of my life.

Life Changer #2 Do you remember being at Disneyland as a kid and everyone else had the Mickey Mouse ears except you? Or sitting in the theatre and everyone else had a big tub of popcorn AND a soda, but never you? That is how I felt on the Gardon River today. Every kayak came with the French version of a dry bag, which was really a giant jelly-jar looking container. Tony called it La confiture.



Every French family or group of friends on the river had La confiture packed with food. Except us.  The French live for activities, not for the activity itself, but for the opportunity to pack a lunch and enjoy a pique-nique. A few different groups on the river stopped several times for a pique-nique. We stopped to swim and sun and dream about a baguette with a wedge of cheese or the cherries in the trunk of the car.

For now on, we are going to slow down and take some food along. Certainly a life changer.

Before we hit the river, we stopped in the small, lovely village of Uzes for the market that takes over the whole town.  I found several lovelies to purchase, one of which was the freshest olive oil ever (Holly's request). French soap certified and stamped that it had been handcrafted by an official parfumerie-the smells are heavenly: Citron presse or squeezed lemon, vanille, cinnamon, lime,  peach and ....can't remember cause who remembers all six flavors of soap?

 The fresh chevre seller.
 A nun selling her monastary's wine.
A handsome tourist on a village road leading to the center of the city.
My Mom would have had fun at the "sewing center."
  More wine sellers.
 Fruit galore where we picked up some delicious melon and cherries.
 The garlic monger who wouldn't allow anyone to stand in front of his wares unless buying.
The nougat pusher.



The Pont du Gard River Trip:

The Pont du Gard is the highest Roman construction in the world.
« The resounding impact of my steps as I walk beneath these mighty arches made me think I could almost hear the voices of those who built them. I was lost, like an insect, in its immensity. I felt, though small and insignificant, that something unknown was lifting my soul and I said to myself, « Am I not a Roman ! ».Jean-Jacques Rousseau 




It's an amazing and imposing structure also considered an engineering coup. It carried water via aqua duct from all three levels to Nimes in the first century AD.
Painted by Hubert Robert in 1787.

Comments

Mandi said…
Wonderful adventures! Glad you and dad figured our a nice compromise :)