Imagine

Imagine a 53 year old woman dancing with two teenage girls. In public. Before a large audience. Bollywood style.

Imagine Dancing With the Teachers. Now imagine winning second place.

And imagine the joy that came when I realized it wasn't all about me.

When beloved senior Ramya asked me to dance with her and Megan, my thoughts were, "I can't do that" and "I can't embarrass myself." But when I forgot myself, forgot the possibility of making a fool of myself, forgot my own vanity, forgot the self-conciousness that comes with age and realized I was dancing for someone else, the task became play.

Did I work hard? Yes. Did I spend a few hours with the practice video behind me trying to brain-ingrain every move? Yes. Was I nervous? Yes. But when the time came, I danced with joy. But the joy only came after I forgot myself.

Comments