Ahhh...Revision

Revision snippets from notes taken at various writing conferences ( cleaning out files):
I look for bad transitions, unnecessary words, and descriptive gaps. And I pay attention to the pace and the music of the words. Janet Evanovich
Rewriting is the essence of writing well: it's where the game is won or lost...clear writing is the result of a lot of tinkering. William Zinsser
With every small refinement I feel that I'm coming nearer to where I would like to arrive, and when I finally get there I know it was the rewriting, not the writing, that won the game. William Zinsser
When am I finished rewriting? Never. The novel never attains the level of perfections (you will know when to stop rewriting ) when yo see the problems but, no matter how hard you try, you can't improve on what you have. That's it. Walter Moseley
To write is human, to edit is divine
. Stephen King
See revision as envisioning again. If there are areas in your work where there is a blur or vagueness, you can simply see the picture again and add the details that will bring your work closer to your mind's picture. Natalie Goldberg
Approach revision the same way you approach writing--with the understanding that there is no right way and the assurance that you will learn how to do it by doing it. Lisa Garrigues
Just as stories aren't written but rewritten, so should beginnings be written and rewritten. Look at your opening and ask yourself, "If I were reading this, would I be intrigued enough to go on?: Barnaby Conrad
I write my stories in scenes and always from a particular character's point of view. Then i may rewrite the same scene from a different character's point of view and find that it works better. Elmore Leonard
The best approach to rewriting is an attitude of discovery, seeking to find the inherent form in each small section within the sprawling rough draft, and editing out or chipping away anything that does not serve the idea. Then comes the building-up phase when skeletal impressions are fleshed out and specific examples and more precise language are added. Roberta Jean Bryant
It is a good idea to wait awhile before you reread your writing. Time allows for distance and objectivity about your work. Natalie Goldberg

Comments