Saturday, June 17, 2017

Sarah From Dubai

For two days I work next to a woman named Sarah from Dubai. A former Muslim, schooled in Syria, in France, she is a hypno-therapist specializing in discovering past lives to help people overcome their fears and phobias.

I love Sarah.

She leaves  a profound impression on me.

One day, I confess to her, that I fear telling refugees from Iraq and Afghanistan that I am from America. She looks puzzled.

"You know, because we've bombed and invaded both countries."

"No! You must say where you are from. You are here to show them a different side of America. That is why you're here. To change the world's perceptions. It is why I am here. To show there is a better way besides hate and war."

Her perspective is freeing and duty binds me to present myself for who I am.

"Last time I was here, there were two girls from Israel. Do you think they hid their country? NO! That is why they were here. We need to change. People are people."

The next day, I hurry to the kitchen camp to tell Sarah I will drive her home tonight when I get a break. She is gone. She found a different volunteer job that will utilize her Arabic, French, and English skills better.

There is so much more I wanted to learn from her---but perhaps, I'd learned the most important lesson already.

No comments: