Monday, March 20, 2017

Quotidian

The plane descent was so rough, my daughter reached for her husband's hand. Even I paid attention to the scary imaginations in my mind, until I heard a child burst into laughter.

Like most laughter, it was contagious, even during this turbulent landing--and once I laughed, I was no longer frightened by the imagined disastrous possibilities.

The plane took another roller coaster dive and the child laughed even harder.

I followed her lead and laughed again; my nervousness was gone, just like that.

Thank goodness for a different perspective.

The perspective of innocence.

Yet, not once in my lifetime of being an airplane passenger, did I have reason to believe that after the bumps, the plane would not smooth out, that we would not land safely. I had no reason to tense up; my life experience pointed otherwise.

Yet, my history included a recent watching of Scully, watching 1970s' Airport and 1980s' Airplane I and II, as a teenager and young adult. Not to mention years and years of news reporting on missing, hijacked, and crashed airplanes.

We are always a product of the possible, regardless of its improbability.

In order to keep on living, loving, and enjoying we have to remember these disasters become movies or make the news not because they are the norm, but because they are far from the norm. Hence, they become newsworthy, script worthy. The mundane, the usual, never makes the news, yet it is what constitutes our lives: the quotidian.

While we were in Paris last summer, Tony's friend sent a questioning email. He'd read of mayhem in Paris and questioned our safety. Tony and I looked at each other and shrugged our shoulders, what violence in Paris?

We googled violence in Paris and discovered a late night incident when a crowd of drinking, partying concert attendees had gotten into a scuffle. At 1:00 a.m., we were safely tucked and sound asleep.

While in Hawaii in December, national news reported on freezing conditions and snow in the islands. I was wearing summer clothes and swimming in the ocean. Yes, there was snow on Mauna Kea which one islander packed in his truck and brought to the beach for a snowball fight, but cold and snow was not the norm for the rest of Hawaii--only for the news.

I had a quotidian day. Thank goodness for the Hawaiin-weather quotidian.