Thursday, March 30, 2017

Let The Little Things

Let The Little Things Change the Trajectory of Your Life.

After watching a New York Times award winning video, 4.1 Miles, I declared to my class, "This video will change the way I spend my summer."

Sarah, a beautiful girl bursting on the precipice of her own adventurous life, asked, "What are you going to do differently?"

Caught in my own emotional moment, I answered truthfully, "I don't know."

The video documented the immigration tragedy that hard-hit the island of Lesvos, Greece. At one point in the Syrian, Middle East tragedy, refugee boats and rafts, overloaded, un-sea-worthy, were in need of rescue several times a day. The film footage is raw and disturbing-- men, women, and children, who risk all to find peace; the men and women who risk all to help them attain that peace--on the open, rough, sea.

My determination was to help refugees in some way. Not only on safe ground, but where it was rough, un-safe. I snapped in the moments of watching the video, but really, it was a cumulative gathering of experiences. There may be one decisive moment that propels us into action, but more often it is a series of experiences, of witnessing, of wanting to be part of the tide fighting against human suffering.

It started with simply being aware. Aware of the floods of people leaving their homes because they could no longer provide refuge.

Then came Athens. Spending an evening with Syrians headed to Poland. Then...then...then...

While listening to NPR, I heard of an American organization working in Macedonia. I searched and searched for that group. Nothing.

My passion waned. I searched again.

Finally, I found a European organization in need of our help. An email from Peggy on Wednesday morning. A refugee camp in Lesvos Greece. In June.

Cumulative experience that helped me punch the way to do what I needed to do.

Let The Little Things Change the Trajectory of Your Life.