Tuesday, February 7, 2017

Only Because


After a gloomy end to January, I wake up the first of February hoping the weather is nice enough for a trail run on the side of the mountain.

The weather app reports forty-one degrees! Still overcast, my muscles get the best of me, and I'm pulling on two pairs of stretchy pants, two shirts and a light jacket. I walk out the garage door and find a sliver of the sun is waiting. As I climb the hill, the sun does too. We are companions for the entire run.

It's one of the most beautiful running days I've had in my entire life, yet I couldn't have realized this without the gloom of the preceeding weeks.

My daughter sends me a screen shot of the sign she has on her front lawn. The black and red declaration has taken over the green spaces of Chicago and her suburbs, since the immigration ban imposed last week (and since overturned). The sign is one of the most beautiful lawn decorations, yet it couldn't have emerged without the gloom created by that ban.

Here is what I'm desperately hoping: the outpouring cooperation and desire to eradicate hate will flow into the long beleaguered South Side of Chicago.


Arun Ghandi, grandson of Mahatma Gandhi puts forth a parallel idea: if Gandhi hadn't encountered prejudice in South Africa, he may have become just another rich lawyer in India. He states, "Ironically, if it hadn't been for racism and prejudice, we may not have had a Gandhi."

Naturally, we hope one day for a world without wars, discrimination, or immigration bans; one day mankind will achieve this kind of world and we will recognize its magnificence, in part, because it wasn't always so.