Wednesday, January 11, 2017

Tears

I spend a small but significant portion of my days on the verge of tears. It comes from the little interactions with these children. Today I pulled Brian, a six year old boy who can only walk with help, around in a red wagon. I took him on the outer perimeter of the compound and I wondered if it was his first time. We passed by a shiny black car and when he saw his reflection, he broke into joy. He doesn't speak or I would have loved to ask him what he was thinking.

When I sing to the children, when there is no other language, I cry.

Or when the 16 year old boy who is the size of a four year old, becomes agitated and writhes across his mat, and when I stroke his forehead and he relaxes.

After coloring over leaves, after painting with magic markers, after making chocolitos and tortillas with play doh for two hours, our bus comes to pick us up. I walk to the gate knowing I will never see these kids again. They say goodby, knowing another group of volunteers will never come back.

It breaks my heart and I can't talk on the ride back to our dorm.

When I give the love of our Heavenly Father, I am reconciled that those tender feelings and tears bring me closer to that divine nature found within.  When I feel this divine nature, I also recognize it in all.

Dieter F Uchtdorf said, "God sent you here to prepare for a future greater than you could imagine. The future, a day at a time, comes alive when you do more than just exist; it comes alive when you live your life to fill the measure of your creation.