Saturday, January 21, 2017

Just Human

Every time I pass the four girls' room, I laugh. With very little space, their bedroom is pure chaos--open suitcases where clothes, toiletries, and shoes are scattered like fall leaves on a sidewalk. Their beds are stacked on top of each other, there is no closet nor drawers. Clothes and towels are draped over the ends of the bunk beds.

Sometimes I even step into their bedroom just so I can laugh.

"That would have been me as a teenager, " I explain, so they don't think I am ridiculing them-- and I couldn't have blamed it only on the lack of space. I was always scattered, because time was too precious to bother with the mundane chore of neatness.

On the last morning reserved for packing and cleaning, I again walk past that room expecting it to have improved--it hasn't and again,  I laugh.

"I should take a picture," I call out, but then it occurs to me - why should I document the one weakness-the messiness- when there are so many strengths. But why even consider it a weakness? Can it just be what it is? It is what it is so why not let it be? Messiness in a room with no shelves drawers and two bunk beds. Why have different, improbable expectations?

The room is humorous. Funny. Nothing more, nothing less- a story of comraderie on a tight ship.

How much more important it is to distinguish, or to not distinguish between human frailty
and what is just another human factor that gives us character and distinguishes us from the rest of the pack. How much better to just enjoy the humanness of four teenage girls living in a tiny room for two weeks. How much better to enjoy the humanness of myself, of the people I love, of the students I teach, instead of seeing the faults and shortcomings--of simply being human.