Monday, December 5, 2016

My Way Only

Bah humbug.

Our contrary, small, group of high school seniors (thank goodness they have the other teacher), have gone into rebellion again. Encore une fois.

This time it's over the Senior Class Christmas gift exchange. Student Council assigned secret Santas so every senior would have a gift under the tree.

When I learned we had another rebellion (they first walked out of class in protest of having to read F Scott Fitzgerald's The Great Gatsby), I responded to my teaching partner, Who wouldn't participate in a gift exchange?

Because, I know how everyone feels about Christmas. Of course. And my feelings about Christmas are the only right feelings. Of course.

Actually...I don't have the right and only feelings, but I did for just a moment! Until I caught myself and realized this is how some people in different political parties feel about their decision, their candidate. No one else could be right!

This is the core of most discord. Figuring there is only one right way to believe and act.

One of the best quotes I've ever heard, to which I can't give credit, goes something like this: the worst excuse for doing something the same old way is "Because it's the way we've always done it."

Kudos to the students. Bah humbug de la la la.