Monday, October 3, 2016

Please Obligate Me

A student has decided to sponsor an essay contest for spirit week. When he tells my teaching partner, she's excited and wants to support him. When she asks, "How much money do you have for the prize?"

When he says only $25 she says, "I'll throw in $20 more and so will Mrs. Martinez!"

Thanks Deb --a little cynicism creeps in...yet after pondering my forced donation, I'm thankful for the chance to be generous, thankful for a true friend who knew she could count me in.

Our cousin's daughter suffers from a debilitating disease and was the recipient of a WISH! A group of  college fashion designers arranged for little Jane to come and experience the life of a fashion designer  which included a culminating fashion show. Because of Jane's incredible experience with the Make-A-Wish foundation, she has set a goal to earn money for the organization. My mom forwarded us an email requesting donations.

I was traveling at the time and thought I was okay to ignore the request. Thank goodness for my sister.

"I'm having so much fun! I keep donating $20 in different people's names."

She'd even donated for three of my grandchildren, for the pure pleasure of seeing their names on the donation list.

"Now, I want you to donate for the other three."

What could I say except thank-you for allowing me to be generous too, and thank you for believing you could count on me.

I went to the website and made my donations. It felt good, it felt right.

And of course, little Jane was thrilled~~~

As will be another unknown child whose wish will come true.