Thursday, August 11, 2016

Life Is A Dishwasher


I'm on a Tuesday morning hike with my friends. Oh how I love my friends!! As usual we share movie and book reviews, teach one another about science, pop culture, the arts, and we are very good at solving the worlds' problems, and sometimes our own.

On this occasion we are sympathizing with K who is trying to fit everything that needs to fit into her limited 24 hour days.

I have this little vision of myself, standing at the kitchen sink trying to fit the last bowl or plate into the dishwasher. I often spend more time rearranging to fit in a large bowl, than the time it would take  to wash, dry, and put that bowl in the cupboard.

Life is a dishwasher.

Just like life, I often have more dishes (responsibilities) than I do space (or time).

This lack of space or time is often because I forgot to start the dishwasher when it was full and now there is a backlog (painful recognition that I have procrastinated the reading I need to complete in order to teach a certain subject this fall!!).

Ultimately, there's only so much space in a dishwasher, so many hours in a day, so many days in a week. When a dishwasher is overloaded, dishes don't get cleaned. When life is overloaded, life stays messy. We shortcut, fall short, fake our way through-it, we crash.

My least favorite chore? Unloading that dishwasher. Fortunately, unloading my life is a favorite: decluttering, eliminating the fringe, reducing the time I waste.