Thursday, August 4, 2016

Just Like Me

If you've watched the news lately, you might think all of America is experiencing racial tension.

Say it isn't so.

It isn't so.

I'm in the south, and each day I am surrounded by people who are a different skin color than me and it doesn't matter one bit. Actually, it does. I sense that like me, they are distraught over the re-emergence of racial tensions. I sense that like me,  they see my spirit, my smile, and their judgements aren't because I'm pale. I also sense, like me, they are trying harder to be more polite, more kind, because there is no other way for us to resolve the issues that need to go away. We are both reticent to say, "Hey, you are a beautiful person, and we need to change the world. Killing because of color or profession is wrong and unacceptable. We are all human and to think otherwise is------insanity. Let's help one another, let's unite, let's change this world." So instead of trying to start an awkward dialogue, we try to lift one another out of the old story, the old way~~through kindness. The segregation, prejudice, and distrust should be thrown out, like moldy bread. It's all old. Like a man born in the seventeenth century, discrimination is way too old to still be alive.

In the early morning, a group of men with all shades of black skin to white skin, gather together to set up five beach tents. As the sun rises higher in the sky, women, children, boys, men, the aged, gather under those tents. There are beach chairs and coolers filled with food and drink and hearts just as full of fun and love. They set up games in the sand, umbrellas in the shallow water, and together, they play. They've figured out how to make it work. Just like me and my family.

And in that sacred word, we find the answer: We are family.