Sunday, August 21, 2016

In Our Own

One of my favorite all-time books is Fyodor Dostoevsky's The Brothers Karamazov, in part because of a single chapter titled, The Grand Inquisitor, and because of a single quote, "Be kind to animals and children, for God gave them the beginnings of thought."

Fyodor nailed it: the beginnings of thought. It is why we must protect children, be their advocates, look out for them.


After a few years of work with a children's organization, my time had come to an end. A certain sadness rested in my heart until I happened upon this painting. I was walking through a bookstore and boom, I saw it; it claimed me. Many years later, it hangs over my bedroom fireplace and fills the room with a spirit of love and solace.

Sometimes, it takes a jarring incident to remind us to help children. The New York Times video below insures you are jarred. Like me, you will probably feel helplessness and desperate sadness because you cannot stop suicide bombers intent on death and mayhem. We can do nothing to bring peace to the Syrian Assad regime aided by Hezbollah, Iran, Shiia militias, and now Russia, who together are fighting four rebel factions of which one has ties to al-Quaida. In this knowing, we must discover a way to help within our own sphere, in our own neighborhood, in our own schools, in our own state, in our own country and if possible, in our own world.

Ours.