Saturday, March 19, 2016

The Fool

During my red hair stage, it was extremely difficult to keep the red. It continually faded until it faded away forever, but before it did, my hairdresser did her best to keep it vibrant, and that included one afternoon when she decided to set my head on fire--with bright red. I don't think I realized its intensity. A few days after, I was scheduled to play harp at church, on the stand, in front of lots of people. Not one to give into self consciousness, I didn't think twice about the flame on my head. I only became aware, when my friend met me in the hall and her face filled with sorrow and pity, and she said with an amused smile, "I love you." Which translated into I admire you for looking absolutely ridiculous and still carrying on. In front of a crowd.

The Fool is an important character in the king's court, in the circus, in Shakespeare's plays and comedic films--and in real life.

The fool helps us realize we are all fools and it's okay to make mistakes, and that making restitution for our mistakes is critical. Sometimes this includes confession, admitting to, and apologizing. Or paying back, cleaning up. We learn most from our mistakes, yet we are most reticent to admit our mistakes. Without realization, admission, confession and restitution, it's easier to condemn people for their foolish mistakes, and that's no fun.

In the spirit of all the above listed requirements of playing the fool, I share with you:

Each Friday, school includes a half hour gathering of students for what is deemed "mentoring." Students listen to me all week, so I prefer to ask guests to teach and bring different perspectives. For this auspicious Friday, a senior test was planned, but it was canceled a few days before: terrific! I can ask a speaker and I had the perfect guy in mind. I went to a lot of trouble to secure his coming at the last minute. It involved rides, a caretaker, and possibly canceling an appointment. OH was I excited for the students!

I then received a text that all the seniors were instead meeting in the cafeteria for a senior meeting.

Why hadn't I been notified! Who dared to schedule?

Can you see where this is going?

Fortunately, I calmed down before I sent an inquiring email to administration. I explained how much trouble I had gone to and if administration hadn't scheduled the meeting, could they please let me know who did? I didn't hear a word back and assumed they were scrambling to accommodate my efforts.

Within a few hours, it got back to me that I had scheduled the senior meeting in the cafeteria. Three weeks prior, I had arranged for a different speaker.

I had only been very mad at myself.

I apologized, I canceled, I re-arranged, and yes, I felt like a fool. And then I laughed. And shared. So you may laugh and be encouraged to admit when you too, are the fool.