Sunday, December 27, 2015

Leaping Out of Bed

 Early, early Christmas morning, my daughter's new brother-in-law (he is nine years old), throws open the door and turns on the light, "Come see Christmas!"

Disoriented, my daughter is relieved when her new sister-in -law (who is eighteen years old), calls out from the bedroom next door, "It's two o'clock in the morning. Go back to bed!"

The little brother disappears down the hall, presumably back into bed or into the family room to investigate Santa's gifts all by himself.

My daughter climbs out of bed, turns off the light, shuts the door, goes back to sleep.

At four o'clock, the exhuberant little guy again throws open the door and turns on the light, "Get up for Christmas!" The household realizes, again, that it's too early for Christmas and somehow everyone manages to stay in bed until 7:30-then Christmas begins!!

Before he tried to rally the family, the excited little guy must have first awakened in great anticipation and leapt from his bed! Imagine being filled with so much excitement and joyful anticipation that you leap from your bed unaware of time and protocol.

For Christmas, Lisa gave me a book from her all-time top ten book list. She writes, If I were a castaway on an island and could only have 10 books, this would be one of the books.

I feel honored to have received a book so highly esteemed, and when I come to this paragraph in the introduction, I understand what a gift the book is: Have you had periods in life when you leapt out of bed in the morning to embrace your day? Once this happens to you, once you live this way, even for a few hours, you will never really be satisfied with any other way of living. Everything else will seem vaguely wan and gray. Everything else will seem, as Henry David Thoreau said, like "a distraction."

The author of the book, Stephen Cope, challenges his readers to "Bring forth what is in you." The very things that would make me leap from my bed in the morning are already in me. I may not have a clear picture of what it is, it may still need refinement or discovery, but it may be closer than I think. I may already be on the right path with only a little farther to go until it is clear.

But this awakening I have been made aware of, reminded of--from the little boy on Christmas morning and from the author of the gifted book, the desire to leap out of bed--I am inspired to find what it is or to remember what it is. I want to fight the doldrum that creeps into life like moisture that turns to mold. It's a choice to rediscover, to hold onto, to make it mine--for the first time or to reclaim it again. So I wonder, do I need to restring the harp? Give in to the urge to learn how to sew? Paint? Continue writing? Is it a new physical activity?  I used to roll out of bed every morning and lace up my running shoes-but no longer.  Since I have leaped out of bed on many occasions, I find the author is right, I can't be satisfied with any other way of living. It's time for a new adventure and it may be that the quest is in and of itself, the reason to leap out of bed in the morning.